Nagaland Congress leaders allege rigging during LS polls
Kohima: Congress leaders met the Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath and submitted a complaint alleging large-scale proxy voting and poll rigging by the supporters of ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) during the April 9 Lok Sabha polls in Nagaland.
Congress candidate for the lone Lok Sabha seat in Nagaland K V Pusa along with senior party members met Sampath Thursday and submitted a complaint along with videos, photographs, newspaper clippings alleging rigging by NFP.
He asked the commission to either nullify the April 9 poll or order re-poll in over 1000 polling stations, out of the total 2049, party sources said here today.
Over 40 polling stations recorded more than 100 per cent voting while many others recorded more than 90 per cent polling. Congress alleged the inflated turnout was because of proxy voting and rigging by supporters of CM Neiphiu Rio who had contested as NPF candidate.
Pusa further alleged the state`s record of 88.57 per cent turnout was also bloated.
"Whether the Election Commission accepts our evidence or not, we are going to take up the issue for our future generation and the democratic process," he said.
The Nagaland Congress leaders will also call on party president Sonia Gandhi and brief her about the recently held elections in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed