Nagaland Congress leaders allege rigging during LS polls
Kohima: Congress leaders met the Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath and submitted a complaint alleging large-scale proxy voting and poll rigging by the supporters of ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) during the April 9 Lok Sabha polls in Nagaland.
Congress candidate for the lone Lok Sabha seat in Nagaland K V Pusa along with senior party members met Sampath Thursday and submitted a complaint along with videos, photographs, newspaper clippings alleging rigging by NFP.
He asked the commission to either nullify the April 9 poll or order re-poll in over 1000 polling stations, out of the total 2049, party sources said here today.
Over 40 polling stations recorded more than 100 per cent voting while many others recorded more than 90 per cent polling. Congress alleged the inflated turnout was because of proxy voting and rigging by supporters of CM Neiphiu Rio who had contested as NPF candidate.
Pusa further alleged the state`s record of 88.57 per cent turnout was also bloated.
"Whether the Election Commission accepts our evidence or not, we are going to take up the issue for our future generation and the democratic process," he said.
The Nagaland Congress leaders will also call on party president Sonia Gandhi and brief her about the recently held elections in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble