Narendra Modi attacks Mamata Banerjee; TMC hits back, calls him `butcher of Gujarat`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi/Kolkata: Hitting back at Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi over a personal comment made by him on West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, the ruling Trinamool Congress on Sunday termed him as `the Butcher of Gujarat`.
In a series of tweets attacking Modi, Trinamool
Congress termed Modi as `The Butcher of Gujarat` who could not take care of his wife.
Trinamool national spokesperson Derek O`Brien today wrote on party website, “The butcher of Gujarat could not take care of his own wife. How will he take care of this great nation?”
"Modi has no answers to Bengal`s development model and was
therefore making personal attacks," he added.
Heavily criticising Modi for defaming Mamata Banerjee over the amount being received after selling paintings of the West Bengal CM, O`Brien said, “TMC asks Modi to prove his charge that Mamata Banerjee `pocketed` Rs 1.8 crore by selling one painting of hers or face defamation.”
Sarcastically lauding Banerjee`s talent for painting, Modi today said, "Your paintings used to be sold for Rs four lakh, Rs 8 lakh or Rs 15 lakh, but what is the reason that one of your paintings sold for Rs 1.80 crore. I respect art. But who was the person who bought the painting for Rs 1.80 crore."
Also Read: Modi slams Mamata over Saradha scam
Addressing a rally in Serampore, West Bengal, in a no-holds barred attack on Mamata Banerjee and her government in the state, Narendra Modi today warned of strict action in the Saradha scam issue after formation of government at the Centre.
"I want to tell all the investors in Saradha from Odisha, Bengal and Assam that I announce from this meeting ground that after the formation of the government in Delhi, strict action will be taken on this," the BJP leader said as per PTI.
He added, "Saradha is the other name of Saraswati, she is worshipped everywhere, and this Saradha turned into a chit fund? Mamataji, we did not expect this from you."
"Personally, I have always respected you. But what have you done, you have broken the dreams of the people of Bengal," Modi said.
"So much lust for the chair? The people of Bengal had so much expectations from you and gave you so much love, and you could have done so much for the state, but you are doing what the Left had been doing.
You are walking on their footsteps only. You have imbibed the bad things of both the Left and the Congress," said Modi, who had in the beginning gone soft on Banerjee, but stepped up his attack on her recently.
Turning to the large gathering, Modi asked whether those involved in the scam should be punished and whether the sufferers should not be paid back their investments.
He further accused the Trinamool Congress government in the state of playing votebank politics and claimed that Mamata Banerjee supported illegal Bangaldeshi migrants for their votes.
"Mamata ji has made Bengal a ground for vote-bank politics. People from Odisha, Bihar are considered outsiders, but Bangladeshis come and her face shines," Modi said.
Taking on P Chidambaram, the Gujarat CM said, "You are the finance minister of the country, who are you trying to shield, who are you helping? Mamataji and Chidambaramji, the people of Bengal want to know who are you together trying to save?
"I want to draw your attention that owing to some people, your image is getting sullied. This is not good for you and not for the country`s democracy also," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt