Narendra Modi thanks world leaders for their good wishes
New Delhi: Narendra Modi has thanked world leaders for their good wishes over BJP`s landslide victory in Lok Sabha elections and underscored India`s strong ties with countries like Japan, Russia and Nepal.
The Prime Minister-elect tweeted his gratitude to the Heads of State and Government, and other dignitaries since yesterday but has so far made no mention of either US President Barack Obama or Secretary of State John Kerry.
While Obama called up Modi, Kerry had congratulated him on Twitter.
Modi thanked leaders of Japan, Russia, Spain, Nepal, Canada, Germany and South Africa besides the UN Secretary General and the Dalai Lama.
"I thank President Putin for his good wishes. Looking forward to making our relations with Russia even stronger in the years to come."
"India-Russia friendship has stood the test of time. We will further strengthen our relations in a wide range of fields," he wrote in two tweets.
The Gujarat chief minister also mentioned Japan in his tweets speaking of his experience of working with the east Asian economic powerhouse.
"Personally, I have a wonderful experience of working with Japan as CM. I am sure we will take India-Japan ties to newer heights."
After thanking Nepal President Ram Baran Yadav and Prime Minister Sushil Koirala for their wishes, he referred to the neighbouring country as an "old & deeply valued friend".
Modi has had an uneasy relationship with the US which denied him a visa over 2002 Gujarat riots.
He has, however, in his public utterances stressed that foreign relations cannot be "influenced" by incidents related to individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM