Narendra Modi used `martyrs` for political gains: Sonia Gandhi
Kullu: BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is seeking to make political gains by soliciting support for his party in the name of Kargil heroes, Congress president Sonia Gandhi said Sunday.
"Unka dil sirf kursi mang rahain hai (Modi`s heart only seeks power)," Gandhi said at an election rally here in Himachal Pradesh. "For political gains he is using the name of martyrs."
Gandhi, in her maiden visit to the state that will go to the polls May 7, said the BJP`s political path would cause disaster.
"You should follow the Congress path, the path of development and prosperity, and strengthen democracy."
Describing the BJP leader as a `pracharak` or propagandist, she said: "It seems he has started thinking himself to be the prime minister even before the results are out."
Listing out the achievements of the Congress-led UPA government in the past 10 years, Gandhi said her party didn`t make false promises.
"It`s always working ... for the welfare of the poor."
Modi in his election rallies in the state April 29 appealed to voters to ensure his party`s victory in 300 Lok Sabha constituencies.
But his use of Kargil hero Vikram Batra`s oft-quoted phrase "yeh dil maange more" sparked a controversy, with Batra`s parents and the Congress raising objections.
Modi defended his use of the phrase at a 3D rally held a few hours later saying he would "rather leave politics than insult our martyrs and their parents".
The hill state has four Lok Sabha seats - Shimla, Kangra, Mandi and Hamirpur - and the main contest is between the Congress and the BJP.
In the 2009 election, the Congress won the Mandi seat while the BJP bagged the other three.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?