NDA to get 279 seats, Cong 79: Exit poll
New Delhi: NDA is projected to get 279 seats in Lok Sabha elections, crossing the required majority mark in the 543-member House while BJP alone could clock its highest-ever tally of 235 seats, according to an exit poll aired on Wednesday.
The poll gives ruling UPA 103 seats with Congress projected to get only 79, its all-time low.
AIADMK and TMC could stand third and fourth in the tally with 32 and 30 seats respectively, it said.
Others, which include non-NDA and non-UPA regional parties and the Left, have been projected to get 116 seats.
A news channel also released its final figures today, revising NDA tally to 274-286 from 270-282 seats. BJP alone is expected to win 230-242 seats, it said.
The channel said the change in its figures is because it had not included the figures from north-eastern states in its poll telecast on May 12 which had given NDA 270-282. Its finaly projection for UPA remains at 92-102 seats.
The exit poll said Narendra Modi-led BJP will sweep Uttar Pradesh by winning 56 out of the total 80 seats and emerge victorious in 22 out of 40 seats in Bihar.
Samajwadi Party, which rules UP, and BSP are projected to get 12 and eight seats only.
Several exit polls aired on May 12 soon after the elections got over had forecast a victory for NDA, projecting its tally anywhere between 249 and 290.
Congress-led UPA was tipped to get between 101 and 148 seats while `others` were projected to get between 146 and 156 seats by these polls.
The exit poll has projected major gains for BJP and its allies across Gujarat, Maharashtra and Rajasthan besides Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
Congress-led UDF and CPI(M)-led LDF are projected to get
10 seats each out of 20 seats in Kerala and in Karnataka ruled by Congress, BJP will get 16 and Congress 12, the survey said.
TDP-BJP combine and YSR Congress are fighting a neck-and-neck battle in Seemandhra with a projection of 13 and 12 seats for them respectively while TRS is likely to win 11 out of 17 seats in Telangana, leaving Congress with three and TDP-BJP alliance wih 2, the poll said.
BJP will emerge as the second largest party in Odisha by bagging five seats while ruling BJD will get 13 of the total 21 seats, it said adding BJP will get only one seat in West Bengal.
NDA will receive 37.4 percent of vote share and UPA 22.7 percent of total votes polled, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it