NDA will not need NCP`s support: Gopinath Munde
Mumbai: Exuding confidence of securing a majority to form the next government at the centre, BJP leader Gopinath Munde Wednesday discounted the possibility of seeking support of Sharad Pawar`s NCP.
"There is no question of the NCP joining the NDA. We shall not require them," Munde said, responding to speculation that the Nationalist Congress Party was likely to offer support to the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance.
Munde`s comments came after a meeting of top party leaders who took stock of the BJP`s performance and the post-results scenario in Maharashtra and the centre.
Munde reiterated his oft-repeated stance that the five-party `Grand Alliance` in Maharashtra would bag at least 35 of the total 48 Lok Sabha seats they jointly contested.
Referring to his own probable role at the centre, Munde side-stepped the issue of a ministerial berth, saying he would take up "any responsibility entrusted by the new prime minister and the BJP", in the event of the NDA forming the next government.
The BJP deputy leader of opposition in the outgoing 15th Lok Sabha said he has instructed party activists to launch preparations for the Maharashtra assembly election scheduled to be held later this year.
"Even the assembly election shall be fought under the banner of the `Grand Alliance` (Mahayuti). A joint coordination committee of all the alliance partners shall be formed after the Lok Sabha results are announced," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!