Nearly 80 percent polling stations in Bastar `highly sensitive`
New Delhi: Nearly 80 percent polling stations in Naxal-hit Bastar Lok Sabha constituency in Chhattisgarh have been designated as "highly sensitive", leading to the deployment of more than 25,000 security personnel to ensure peaceful polling on Thursday.
Security forces are keeping strict vigil over Bastar constituency as Maoists have planted hundreds of landmines to disturb the election process, a Home Ministry official said.
"Of the 1,797 polling booths in Bastar, 1,407 are deemed highly sensitive," the official said, adding, "We have deployed more than 25,000 securitymen to ensure peaceful polling."
Altogether 238 polling booths have been relocated for security reasons.
There are 12,98,971 voters in Bastar Lok Sabha constituency and the geographical area of the undivided Bastar district is similar to Kerala.
Home Ministry has given special instructions for strict vigil during the polling as there were 190 violent incidents on the polling days in Naxal affected states during 2009 General Elections.
Twenty-four people, including some security personnel, were killed on the polling days in Naxal-hit areas in 2009.
Six helicopters are being used to ferry 153 polling teams in Bastar due to security reasons.
Eight candidates including AAP`s Soni Sori, who was arrested for her alleged links with Naxals, are in the fray.
BJP has fielded Dinesh Kashyap, while the Congress candidate is Deepak Karma, whose father Mahendra Karma was killed in a Maoist attack, which also claimed lives of nearly 30 others, before Chhattisgarh Assembly polls in May 2013.
In the previous election, the contest was mainly between two major political parties - Congress and BJP.
But this time, AAP candidate, Soni Sori, a tribal teacher from Dantewada region, has made the contest an interesting one. She may gain support from remote areas.
The other candidates in fray are: Manbodh Baghel (BSP), Shankar Ram Thakur (SP), Vimla Sori (CPI), Devchand Dhruv (CPI (ML) and Arjun Singh Thakur (Ambedkarite Party of India).
The state has 11 Lok Sabha seats. Rajnandgaon, Mahasamund and Kanker would witness polling on April 17. Sarguja, Raigarh, Janggir-Chhapa, Korba, Bilaspur, Durg and Raipur would go to polls on April 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow