New Delhi Lok Sabha seat won by woman candidate after 54 years
New Delhi: The New Delhi Lok Sabha seat has been bagged by a woman candidate after a gap of 54 years.
In the just-concluded elections for the 16th Lok Sabha, BJP leader Meenakshi Lekhi defeated sitting MP and Congress heavyweight Ajay Maken from New Delhi seat by a huge margin.
Lawyer-turned-politician Lekhi, is the second woman to have gained victory on this seat after freedom fighter and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Sucheta Kriplani.
Kriplani was elected to the Lok Sabha in 1952 and 1957 from the same constituency.
Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee had won from the New Delhi LS seat in 1977 on a Janata party ticket. He managed to retain the seat in 1980 but on a BJP ticket.
In 1984, KC Pant of the Congress was declared elected from New Delhi. In the next two subsequent elections (1989 and 1991), the seat was wrested from the Congress by BJP`s L K Advani.
In the subsequent by-election in 1992, cinestar Rajesh Khanna defeated Advani and bagged the seat on a Congress ticket. However, he lost to senior BJP leader Jagmohan in the 1996 elections who retained the seat in the next elections as well.
Jagmohan was defeated by Congress` Ajay Maken who dominated the seat from 2004 to 2014 and was defeated by Meenakshi Lekhi this time.
Lekhi secured 4,53,350 votes, followed by AAP`s Ashish Khaitan finishing second with 2,90,642 votes and Congress` Ajay Maken managing a mere 1,82,893 to end up third.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks