Odisha Maoists oppose polls, call for shutdown
Bhubaneswar: Urging people to boycott the polls, the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoists has called for a shutdown in parts of Odisha April 10, a rebel leader said in an audio message Tuesday.
The leader of the party`s Bansadhara-Ghumusar-Nagabali division who called himself Umakant has termed political parties like the Biju Janata Dal (BJD), the Congress and the Bharatiya Janata Party anti-people.
In an audio message released to the media, the leader has urged the voters of four southern districts -- Koraput, Rayagada, Kalahandi and Kandhamal -- to observe a shutdown in their respective areas where balloting will be held April 10.
He also accused the BJD government of exploiting the poor, downtrodden and innocent tribals and handing over their lands, forest, water and mineral wealth to the corporates. People must unseat this party from power, the rebel leader said.
Last week, police seized several anti-election posters allegedly put up by the rebels in Rayagada district. Maoists are active in more than half of the state and the area where they have called a shutdown is considered their stronghold.
Odisha has asked the central government to provide three choppers and additional security forces for conducting free and fair polls in the Maoist-affected areas.
Polling for 21 Lok Sabha seats from Odisha and the 147-member state assembly would be simultaneously held April 10 and 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi