Odisha police`s carrot and stick approach for Maoists
Bhawanipatna: The Odisha Police have taken a carrot and stick approach to prevent Maoists from creating violence during the first phase of simultaneous Lok Sabha and Assembly polls on Thursday.
"We appeal to the Maoists to return to the mainstream of the society for which rehabilitation support will be given to them," Inspector General of Police (south-west range) YK Jethwa told reporters here.
"However, if they continue their undemocratic and criminal activities, Police are ready to take drastic action," he said after reviewing law and order situation in Kalahandi district.
More than 50 of the 70 Assembly segments which goes to the polls tomorrow are in Maoist-affected areas. The red rebels have given a call for poll boycott.
In Kalahandi district, 158 of of the total 1301 booths are located in Naxal affected areas.
Jethwa visited Naxal affected pockets of Thuamul Rampur and Lanjigarh and the CRPF camp at Bijepur in Lanjigarh block. He also reviewed arrangement of anti-Maoist operations in Kalahandi with the district SP and Collector.
In order to conduct free and fair election, five companies of CRPF, three units of SOG, seven platoons of state armed police were deployed in sensitive pockets, he said.
Besides, 14 mobile units, 14 surveillance units and 10 quick movement teams have also been deployed. "If necessary Helicopter support will be provided", Jethwa said.
For smooth security operation, the district was divided into five zones, each to be supervised by a DSP ranked officer.
Jethwa said there was Naxal threat in Kalahandi- Kondhmal, Kalahandi-Koraput and Kalahandi-Raigada borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena