Odisha police`s carrot and stick approach for Maoists
Bhawanipatna: The Odisha Police have taken a carrot and stick approach to prevent Maoists from creating violence during the first phase of simultaneous Lok Sabha and Assembly polls on Thursday.
"We appeal to the Maoists to return to the mainstream of the society for which rehabilitation support will be given to them," Inspector General of Police (south-west range) YK Jethwa told reporters here.
"However, if they continue their undemocratic and criminal activities, Police are ready to take drastic action," he said after reviewing law and order situation in Kalahandi district.
More than 50 of the 70 Assembly segments which goes to the polls tomorrow are in Maoist-affected areas. The red rebels have given a call for poll boycott.
In Kalahandi district, 158 of of the total 1301 booths are located in Naxal affected areas.
Jethwa visited Naxal affected pockets of Thuamul Rampur and Lanjigarh and the CRPF camp at Bijepur in Lanjigarh block. He also reviewed arrangement of anti-Maoist operations in Kalahandi with the district SP and Collector.
In order to conduct free and fair election, five companies of CRPF, three units of SOG, seven platoons of state armed police were deployed in sensitive pockets, he said.
Besides, 14 mobile units, 14 surveillance units and 10 quick movement teams have also been deployed. "If necessary Helicopter support will be provided", Jethwa said.
For smooth security operation, the district was divided into five zones, each to be supervised by a DSP ranked officer.
Jethwa said there was Naxal threat in Kalahandi- Kondhmal, Kalahandi-Koraput and Kalahandi-Raigada borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug