Only 43 of original 77 remain in Varanasi race
New Delhi: Only 43 candidates of the original 77 who filed papers remain in the electoral fray in Varanasi after the final withdrawal and scrutiny of nominations for the May 12 Lok Sabha poll, the State Election Commission said Monday.
Most of them dropped out after the last date of withdrawal. Final scrutiny ended at 3 p.m. Monday.
Details of the independent candidates who remained in the contest were not immediately known.
Voting for the 2014 Lok Sabha election in Varanasi would be held on May 12. The main candidates in fray are Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, Aam Admi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal and Congress party`s Ajay Rai.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!