PC Sorcar granted bail
Barasat: Barasat BJP candidate and magician P C Sorcar Wednesday surrendered before a local court and was granted bail in connection with a case of making alleged derogatory remarks against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
He was granted bail on a bond of Rs 3000.
Sorcar had made the alleged remarks on March 29 and Trinamool Congress candidate from the seat Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar had petitioned the Election Commission, which in turn had served him a showcause.
His reply was deemed unsatisfactory and it was decided that an FIR would be filed against Sorcar.
District Magistrate and North 24 Parganas district election officer Sanjay Bansal filed the FIR at Barasat police station yesterday.
Sorcar surrendered at the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Madhumita Roy today and was granted bail.
Sorcar, without naming the chief minister, had allegedly said during electioneering that those involved in rape cases in the state were dubbed `dushtu chhele` (naughty boys) and what would those speaking thus, say if they were raped.
Demanding action against Sorcar, Ghosh Dastidar had said that such a remark against the chief minister was highly objectionable and violative of the Model Code of Conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack