PC Sorcar granted bail
Barasat: Barasat BJP candidate and magician P C Sorcar Wednesday surrendered before a local court and was granted bail in connection with a case of making alleged derogatory remarks against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
He was granted bail on a bond of Rs 3000.
Sorcar had made the alleged remarks on March 29 and Trinamool Congress candidate from the seat Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar had petitioned the Election Commission, which in turn had served him a showcause.
His reply was deemed unsatisfactory and it was decided that an FIR would be filed against Sorcar.
District Magistrate and North 24 Parganas district election officer Sanjay Bansal filed the FIR at Barasat police station yesterday.
Sorcar surrendered at the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Madhumita Roy today and was granted bail.
Sorcar, without naming the chief minister, had allegedly said during electioneering that those involved in rape cases in the state were dubbed `dushtu chhele` (naughty boys) and what would those speaking thus, say if they were raped.
Demanding action against Sorcar, Ghosh Dastidar had said that such a remark against the chief minister was highly objectionable and violative of the Model Code of Conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites