Petition challenges Lalu Prasad as RJD chief
Patna: A rebel RJD legislator Thursday filed a petition in the Patna High Court saying that under the rules, Lalu Prasad cannot be the party president after his conviction in the fodder scam.
"I have filed a petition against Lalu Prasad as he cannot be the RJD chief. According to the party constitution, any convicted person cannot be the party president," Samrat Choudhary said after filing the petition.
Choudhary said he had approached the poll panel last month and sought its intervention to cancel the nomination papers of Rashtriya Janata Dal candidates because the party symbol was distributed with the signature of a convicted Lalu Prasad.
Lalu Prasad, however, dismissed the charges against him as "baseless" and "useless".
"There is no such party constitution that prevents me from being the party president," Lalu Prasad said, adding Choudhary had betrayed the RJD and is a defector.
Choudhary was the chief whip of the RJD in the assembly before he revolted in February. He submitted a letter with the signatures of 13 legislators stating they were quitting the RJD and requested the Bihar assembly speaker to be recognised as a separate group.
The speaker recognised them as a separate group, creating a controversy following which Lalu Prasad alleged that he acted in violation of the anti-defection law.
Nine of the 13 legislators later returned to Lalu Prasad`s fold.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!