Lok Sabha polls: Rahul Gandhi—Time for `Yuvraj` to bite the bullet
With great power comes great responsibility. But sadly that isn`t the case with Congress party vice president Rahul Gandhi. He wields absolute power over the party, and to a large extent over the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government as well, but he seldom has come forward to shoulder a responsibility or play the role of a minister.
After the Gandhi family scion finally agreed to shoulder the mantle and said yes to playing a more ‘proactive role’ as the party vice president a year back, the horizon was wide open for him to don the role of a minister and prove his abilities as a politician, or project himself as the prime-ministerial candidate and commandeer his party into the 2014 battleground. But a man`s biggest strength is also his biggest weakness. Mere utterance of his surname —`Gandhi`— can makes heads turn and make one sit up and take notice, for many who wielded the title also swayed the sceptre in corridors of power; but Rahul seems overburdened by it and often too much is expected of him.
Some would say Rahul was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, politics is in his genes and a crown on his head; and there`s no doubting that. His great-grandfather Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, grandmother Indira Gandhi and father Rajiv Gandhi, who despite their affluent upbringings earned their badges in the political battlefield and went on to prove their worth as prime ministers. And in 2014 General Elections, the stage perhaps looked set for the Congress to declare Rahul as the PM candidate and let him lead the poll campaign. And after Manmohan Singh declared that he wasn`t in the PM race any more, the 2014 polls had in them the making of son-rise in the Congress.
But in the face of a Narendra Modi wave, it was speculated that such a move could prove harsh baptism by fire for the 43-year-old. Plus the Congress-led UPA-II went through a nightmare in its last few months with one after another allegation of corruption, scams, policy paralysis, high inflation and financial mess leaving the Manmohan Singh government flummoxed. By openly projecting him as the PM candidate the Congress would have done him more harm than good, for a bad show would`ve nipped in the bud the projection of him being the Congress party`s future.
But the Congress needs a Gandhi to lead it. Historically, the party has fared badly whenever it hasn`t had a Gandhi at the helms. After Rajiv Gandhi`s assassination in 1991, Sonia had refused to take over the Congress` reins. But after the party was trounced in the 1996 elections under the then president Sitaram Kesri, she was forced to join the party in 1997 and donned the party leader`s in 1998. And until the next time, she will continue to be the Gandhi that Congress follows.
The Congress party cadres hoped that projecting Rahul as a youth leader could help them bag the vote of youngsters, the elders they hoped would once again want a Gandhi as their leader. But on the few occasions that Rahul Gandhi tried to lead the Congress—like in the 2012 Uttar Pradesh Assembly Elections where he was the face of the campaign or when he openly came out to denounce the party line over ordinance on convicted politicians—the results were far from encouraging. Congress suffered a crushing defeat in UP and his outburst against the ordinance left his own party red-faced.
Perhaps after the General Elections, it would be better suited if Rahul Gandhi took up the role of an active Leader of Opposition or a portfolio to prove that he can deliver.
Though there may be others in the Congress that are more meritorious and deserving than Rahul but they don’t stand a chance—because they simply don`t have a `Gandhi` as their surname. One cannot blame Rahul for not trying. In the run up to the 2014 General Elections, he has rolled up his sleeve and travelled the length and breadth of the country proclaiming that the Congress gave the junta the power of RTI and empowered women; `how` is another matter altogether.
But full marks to him for engaging tribal women, coolies, youngsters et all. And he has also heralded into the Congress `primary` elections for the sake of ticket distribution. But the question remains, can he persist? Will he take up the role of a minister in occasion of a UPA victory? Or take the blame if the Congress fares badly, and then invest five years to restrengthen the Congress` cadres to launch a fightback in the next polls. For Congress and Rahul`s sake, one would hope he does. After all there is a limit to enjoying power without accountability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark