Police launch inquiry into Togadia`s `hate speech`
Bhavnagar: Complying with the orders of the Election Commission, Bhavnagar police have started an inquiry into the alleged hate speech given by VHP chief Pravin Togadia in which he said Muslims should be stopped from buying property in Hindu-majority areas.
"We have started an inquiry into the alleged hate speech given by Vishwa Hindu Parishad chief Pravin Togadia," Bhavnagar superintendent of police (SP) Maninder Singh Pawar told PTI tonight.
The Bhavnagar police swung into action after the EC sought the recording of Togadia`s speech and directed the police to probe the matter.
However, Pawar maintained no FIR has been filed against Togadia so far.
"After seeing the news reports, the poll panel asked us to submit an Action
Taken Report if there is truth in the allegations against Togadia. Thus, I have ordered an inquiry and asked the `B` division police of Bhavnagar city to acquire the CD of that speech. However, we haven`t found the CD yet," said Pawar.
"Apart from the CD, we are also collecting other evidences such as taking statements of society residents. If we find enough evidences, a case under section 153(a) of IPC will be filed against Togadia," said Pawar.
Section 153(a) (promoting enmity among different groups on ground of religion) of IPC deals with "intention to cause disorder, promoting enmity between religious groups and incite people to violence".
"The FIR will be registered if we find found substantial evidence. I will be personally visiting that place to take the statements of residents," said Pawar.
Togadia had asked his supporters to get vacated the house a Muslim man had purchased in the Hindu-majority locality near Meghani Circle area of Bhavnagar city, around 180 kms from here.
Togadia had allegedly told the gathering, mainly comprising local residents and Bajrang Dal workers, that they should give an ultimatum of 48 hours to the occupant to vacate the house or else they should storm into it, take possession and put up a Bajrang Dal board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!