Poll code relaxed in Karnataka
Bangalore: The Election Commission Wednesday relaxed the Model Code of Conduct in Karnataka, five days after polling was held in all the 28 Lok Sabha seats in the state, an official said.
"The EC has agreed to the request of the state government to relax the model code, which was enforced March 5 for the Lok Sabha election in the state April 17," state chief electoral officer Anil Kumar Jha told IANS here.
The conditional relaxation will enable the state government to resume administrative activities that were suspended during the election period.
It will also allow ministers and officials who were not deputed on election duty to undertake tours and inspection of schemes.
"The ministers and lawmakers are also allowed to conduct review meetings with officials of their respective departments and use government vehicles for official tours," Jha said.
Deputy commissioners of districts who were returning officers for the Lok Sabha seats and their assistant returning officers, however, will not be attending official meetings as they are considered to be on election duty till counting of votes May 16.
"The state government will have to seek special permission from the EC for making fresh recruitments or official transfers," Jha said.
As per the poll panel`s guidelines, the state government will be allowed to take up projects that were under implementation before the model code came into force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’