Poll violence in West Bengal claims six lives, 627 injured
Kolkata: Poll violence has so far claimed six lives in West Bengal and left 627 persons injured in 718 incidents, the Election Commission officials said on Sunday.
Two deaths had taken place in the state yesterday, OSD in the CEO`s office, Amit Roy Chowdhury said adding Prahlad Roy of CPI(M) died in a clash at Ghatal in West Midnapore, while Amitabha Panja of Trinamool Congress died in another such incident at Hatgobindapur in Burdwan district.
"Reports from the DMs are awaited on these incidents," he said.
While one person lost his life in Nadia district late last month, the second death took place at Jalangi in Murshidabad district early this month, followed by the third in Birbhum and fourth at Manikchak under Malda district recently, Roy Chowdhury said.
Apart from this, in four major incidents of violence recorded yesterday, altogether 32 persons were arrested against a number of FIRs filed.
The incidents were either attacks on election personnel by a political party or clash between two major political parties in the state, Roy Chowdhury said.
While three incidents were at Salboni, Ghatal and Jamboni under West Midnapore district, the fourth incident took place at Hatgobindapur in Burdwan district, he said.
In a statewide drive against illegal arms and ammunition ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, huge quantity of illegal arms and weapons and cartridges were seized.
The Income Tax department has so far seized about Rs 6.57 crore unaccounted cash, the OSD said, adding, smuggled gold worth Rs 2.82 crore was also seized.
The Excise department has so far seized over four lakh bulk litres of illicit liquor valued at Rs 3.27 crore, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report