Pollachi has turned too hot for AIADMK
Pollachi : With its sitting MP P K Sugumar embroiled in the cash for letter controversy, AIADMK is moving heaven and earth to retain Pollachi Lok Sabha seat by fielding a new face, where arch rival DMK and KMDK are also going all out to hoist their flag.
Sensing the anger of the electorate against Sugumar in the constituency which witnessed display of posters titled "missing MP" AIADMK denied him renomination and fielded Mahendran.
Sugumar, who won the seat by a margin of 46,000 votes, came in for flak after he was caught in a controversy for allegedly accepting cash for issuing recommendation letters and has earned the wrath of voters who are sore over his "visiting professor" like visit to the constituency.
The constituency is all set to witness a multi-corner contest in April 24 voting involving C Mahendran (AIADMK), N Palanisamy (DMK) who is also its district Secretary, E R Eswaran (KMDK) whose party is part of BJP led alliance and K Selvaraj of Congress.
Pollachi, a perennial drought battered part of Tamil Nadu has a total electorate of 13.35 lakh spread across six assembly segments, where the women electorate outnumber men.
The long pending demand of coconut growers for Coconut Development and Research Board and a similar organisation for Coir Development, continues to remain unrealised even today, according to locals, who blame the elected representatives for failure to establish these institutions.
The Gounder community has sizeable population followed by Telugu Chettiars and Naickers and these sections have capacity to tilt the scale of victory in favour of any candidate.
The entry of T Srinivasan of People`s Movement of India (PMI), a body formed by farmers and agriculturists in the region, has made the contest a curious one.
Failure to implement irrigation projects, particularly Parambikulam Aliyar Project affecting agriculture and also poor compensation for loss of coconut trees due to drought and attack of Eriophyd are the major issues confronting candidates and political parties.
KMK candidate `Best` Ramasamy had polled over one lakh votes in 2009, nearly 10 per cent of the total votes, which proved it is a force to reckon with.
However, KMK split vertically and horizontally and a splinter group KMDK joined BJP alliance in this election.
Palanisamy of DMK was brimming with confidence and banking on the development works he implemented when he was minister in the DMK government.
Star campaigners like Jayalalithaa for AIADMK, M Karunanidhi for DMK and Vijayakanth for NDA have already campaigned in the constituency, which has assembly segments of Valparai, Thondamuthur,Kinathukadavu , Pollachi, Udualpet and Madathukulam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues