Polling booths in Maoist area proposed to be shifted
Jamshedpur: Eight polling booths under Jamshedpur parliamentary constituency located in Maoist-affected areas have been proposed to be shifted to safer locations to ensure free and fair election.
The booths, where polling is scheduled on April 17, are in remote areas of East Singhbhum district and have been proposed to be shifted 3 km to 7 km away, district returning officer Amitabh Kaushal said.
All the 15 candidates of the constituency have agreed for the shift, he told newsmen last night.
Five polling booths in Ghatsila (reserved) assembly constituency, two in Potka (reserved) assembly segment and one in Baharagora have been proposed to be shifted to new locations.
The district administration had expressed apprehension about polling at these centres as they were located in "extreme naxal pockets" and were in remote areas.
Kaushal said 7,154 security personnel would be pressed into service for smooth conduct of the poll in the constituency, which has been divided into 12 super zones and 26 zones.
Each super zone and zone would have a super zonal magistrate and a zonal magistrate.
Besides, 111 clusters, each comprising 8 to 10 booths, have been formed in rural pockets and a cluster officer has been appointed for each.
The total number of polling stations for the constituency would be 1626, where altogether 15,80,672 voters including 8,10,924 women voters and 30,316 first timers will exercise
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof