Polling day: Holiday must for all on Thursday, says TN govt
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Government today made it clear that employers and commercial establishments must grant holiday with wages for their employees tomorrow on account of polling for the 39 Lok Sabha seats in the state.
The government`s reiteration of the provision came in the backdrop of many establishments including IT and BPO sectors and cinema theatres sanctioning only permission to their employees to exercise their franchise and not a holiday.
The holiday must be given as per the provisions of Section 135B of Representation of the People Act, 1951, and instructions issued by the Election Commission of India, a Labour Department release here said.
"The employers of Industrial Establishments, shops and commercial establishments (including Information Technology/ BPO Sector), catering establishments, theatres, factories, plantations, motor transport undertakings, beedi and cigar Industry in Tamil Nadu are requested to grant holiday with wages on April 24, 2104 (Thursday) to all the employees (including the daily wage / casual / contract workers) employed by them to exercise their franchise," it said.
While this instruction had already been made through media, "above said establishments and factories had sanctioned only permission not holiday," it said adding employees must be given holiday tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey