Polling for lone Puducherry seat on Thursday
Zee Media Bureau
Puducherry: Over 900,000 voters will seal the electoral fate of 30 candidates including sitting MP and union minister V. Narayanasamy on Thursday.
To ensure peaceful polling, more than 4,000 local police personnel have been deployed for poll duty. Also, around 3,000 government workers have been pressed into service for poll work.
However, the political combinations are slightly different here as compared to Tamil Nadu.
The Bharatiya Janata Party which stitched up an alliance in Tamil Nadu with DMDK, PMK and MDMK is on the opposite camp in Puducherry. The national party aiming to form the next government at the centre is supporting the All India NR Congress (AINRC) candidate.
On the other hand, the DMDK and MDMK are supporting PMK`s candidate. The PMK was the runner-up here in the 2009 elections, securing around 280,000 votes. The DMDK, standing alone then, got around 53,000 votes.
The Congress aligning with the DMK in 2009 won the seat, polling just over 300,000 votes.
Now the fight is mainly between the ruling AINRC`s R.Radhakrishnan, PMK`s R.K.R. Anandharaman and Congress` Narayanasamy.
For the AINRC, this is the first parliamentary poll since it was formed in 2011.
The party had aligned with the AIADMK and won the assembly elections in 2011 and soon after the two parted ways.
Statehood for Puducherry, infrastructure development, attracting fresh industrial investments, and revitalising the textile units are the major promises given by the contesting parties.
During his campaign, Narayanasamy criticised the Puducherry government for not submitting proper development schemes to the centre to secure funds.
On the other hand, Chief Minister N. Rangasamy blamed the centre for the state to be in dire straits financially.
The DMK president, addressing an election rally here, criticised the alliance between AINRC and the BJP.
The total number of voters is 901,357 comprising 432,048 men, 469,289 women and 20 others.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow