Polling official dies after slipping from lorry
Kendrapara: An official on poll duty died when he slipped from a lorry carrying polling personnel to a polling station in Kendrapara district on Wednesday.
The deceased Pitambar Rout, second polling officer of booth No-24 at Sapalanga village, about 65 km from here, died on the spot, officials said.
The lorry carrying the polling personnel was said to be overcrowded, sources said.
Kendrapara district Collector Nitin Bhanudas Jawale said, "The administration has expressed deep condolence to the bereaved family. Compensation would be paid to his family as per EC guidelines."
Meanwhile, several government employees deployed in poll duty complained of gross mismanagement in the dispatch of polling parties to the polling stations.
"We reported for poll duty at 10 am yesterday. We waited for hours together. We were asked to leave for the polling station at midnight. We went without dinner. It was a nightmarish experience," a cross section of government staffers on poll duty said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'