Power tariff change to be announced only after poll: EC
New Delhi: No changes in power tariff should be announced till the completion of polling in a particular state, the Election Commission ruled on Saturday.
"...Tariff award shall be made only on the completion of the poll in the relevant state ie. After the poll date/dates in that state," the Commission informed the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and Chief Electoral Officers.
The EC, however, made it clear that it has "no objection" to the continuance of the process required for the decision on power tariff.
The EC had received various references from state power regulators seeking the nod of the poll panel from Model Code of Conduct for issuing revised or new electricity tariffs.
The poll body also asked the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and the CEOs to inform the state regulators of its decision.
Recently, the power regulator in Odisha had decided to keep the new electricity tariff in a sealed envelope till the electoral process ends.
Election authorities in Andhra Pradesh have restrained the state regulator from announcing revised tariffs as long as the Model Code of Conduct was in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media