Power tariff change to be announced only after poll: EC
New Delhi: No changes in power tariff should be announced till the completion of polling in a particular state, the Election Commission ruled on Saturday.
"...Tariff award shall be made only on the completion of the poll in the relevant state ie. After the poll date/dates in that state," the Commission informed the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and Chief Electoral Officers.
The EC, however, made it clear that it has "no objection" to the continuance of the process required for the decision on power tariff.
The EC had received various references from state power regulators seeking the nod of the poll panel from Model Code of Conduct for issuing revised or new electricity tariffs.
The poll body also asked the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and the CEOs to inform the state regulators of its decision.
Recently, the power regulator in Odisha had decided to keep the new electricity tariff in a sealed envelope till the electoral process ends.
Election authorities in Andhra Pradesh have restrained the state regulator from announcing revised tariffs as long as the Model Code of Conduct was in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?