Power tariff change to be announced only after poll: EC
New Delhi: No changes in power tariff should be announced till the completion of polling in a particular state, the Election Commission ruled on Saturday.
"...Tariff award shall be made only on the completion of the poll in the relevant state ie. After the poll date/dates in that state," the Commission informed the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and Chief Electoral Officers.
The EC, however, made it clear that it has "no objection" to the continuance of the process required for the decision on power tariff.
The EC had received various references from state power regulators seeking the nod of the poll panel from Model Code of Conduct for issuing revised or new electricity tariffs.
The poll body also asked the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and the CEOs to inform the state regulators of its decision.
Recently, the power regulator in Odisha had decided to keep the new electricity tariff in a sealed envelope till the electoral process ends.
Election authorities in Andhra Pradesh have restrained the state regulator from announcing revised tariffs as long as the Model Code of Conduct was in force.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'