Power tariff change to be announced only after poll: EC
New Delhi: No changes in power tariff should be announced till the completion of polling in a particular state, the Election Commission ruled on Saturday.
"...Tariff award shall be made only on the completion of the poll in the relevant state ie. After the poll date/dates in that state," the Commission informed the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and Chief Electoral Officers.
The EC, however, made it clear that it has "no objection" to the continuance of the process required for the decision on power tariff.
The EC had received various references from state power regulators seeking the nod of the poll panel from Model Code of Conduct for issuing revised or new electricity tariffs.
The poll body also asked the Central Electricity Regulatory Commission and the CEOs to inform the state regulators of its decision.
Recently, the power regulator in Odisha had decided to keep the new electricity tariff in a sealed envelope till the electoral process ends.
Election authorities in Andhra Pradesh have restrained the state regulator from announcing revised tariffs as long as the Model Code of Conduct was in force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan