President Pranab Mukherjee having consultations with legal luminaries
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has held consultations with legal luminaries and constitutional experts on the course to follow if the Lok Sabha elections throw up hung verdict.
Fali Nariman, Soli Sorabjee and Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran were among others whose views were sought by the President last week.
The meetings, days ahead of the results, are being linked to the government formation exercise in which the President will play a pivotal role, especially if no party or pre-poll alliance gets 272 seats.
If a party or alliance get a clear majority, the President?s role is limited to formally inviting that party/ alliance.
Counting of votes for all the 543 Lok Sabha constituencies will be taken up on Friday after the five-week long marathon elections to the 16th Lok Sabha drew to a close yesterday.
Election results are traditionally presented to the President by the Election Commission once the counting exercise is over, which takes a day or two after the declaration of results.
Rashtrapati Bhavan is, meanwhile, gearing itself to media rush which is expected after the results are out on Friday.
A tent has been erected in a corner of the forecourt of majestic complex to accommodate reporters and camera persons who are expected to descend in hordes there.
Dry runs are also being conducted at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in preparations to handle the extra rush of political leaders as well as scribes.
Hectic preparations were also underway for the farewell dinner being hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee to the outgoing government on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam