President Pranab Mukherjee having consultations with legal luminaries
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has held consultations with legal luminaries and constitutional experts on the course to follow if the Lok Sabha elections throw up hung verdict.
Fali Nariman, Soli Sorabjee and Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran were among others whose views were sought by the President last week.
The meetings, days ahead of the results, are being linked to the government formation exercise in which the President will play a pivotal role, especially if no party or pre-poll alliance gets 272 seats.
If a party or alliance get a clear majority, the President?s role is limited to formally inviting that party/ alliance.
Counting of votes for all the 543 Lok Sabha constituencies will be taken up on Friday after the five-week long marathon elections to the 16th Lok Sabha drew to a close yesterday.
Election results are traditionally presented to the President by the Election Commission once the counting exercise is over, which takes a day or two after the declaration of results.
Rashtrapati Bhavan is, meanwhile, gearing itself to media rush which is expected after the results are out on Friday.
A tent has been erected in a corner of the forecourt of majestic complex to accommodate reporters and camera persons who are expected to descend in hordes there.
Dry runs are also being conducted at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in preparations to handle the extra rush of political leaders as well as scribes.
Hectic preparations were also underway for the farewell dinner being hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee to the outgoing government on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official