President Pranab Mukherjee having consultations with legal luminaries
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has held consultations with legal luminaries and constitutional experts on the course to follow if the Lok Sabha elections throw up hung verdict.
Fali Nariman, Soli Sorabjee and Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran were among others whose views were sought by the President last week.
The meetings, days ahead of the results, are being linked to the government formation exercise in which the President will play a pivotal role, especially if no party or pre-poll alliance gets 272 seats.
If a party or alliance get a clear majority, the President?s role is limited to formally inviting that party/ alliance.
Counting of votes for all the 543 Lok Sabha constituencies will be taken up on Friday after the five-week long marathon elections to the 16th Lok Sabha drew to a close yesterday.
Election results are traditionally presented to the President by the Election Commission once the counting exercise is over, which takes a day or two after the declaration of results.
Rashtrapati Bhavan is, meanwhile, gearing itself to media rush which is expected after the results are out on Friday.
A tent has been erected in a corner of the forecourt of majestic complex to accommodate reporters and camera persons who are expected to descend in hordes there.
Dry runs are also being conducted at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in preparations to handle the extra rush of political leaders as well as scribes.
Hectic preparations were also underway for the farewell dinner being hosted by President Pranab Mukherjee to the outgoing government on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured