Prez nod for dissolution of AP Assembly, extension of Central Rule
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday gave his approval for the dissolution of the Andhra Pradesh Assembly and a fresh proclamation for Central Rule in the state.
The President`s nod came after the Union Cabinet had on Friday recommended dissolution of the state Assembly and proclamation of the President`s Rule there beyond April 30, circumventing the need for convening a special session of Parliament to ratify the proclamation, official sources said.
The central government`s decision came following a report of Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan who apprised the Centre of the prevailing situation in the state.
The move will help the central government gain two more months before approaching Parliament for the mandatory ratification of President`s Rule in Andhra Pradesh.
Assembly elections in Andhra Pradesh are being held along with the Lok Sabha polls.
Officials sources said since three more phases of polling in the nine-phased Lok Sabha elections are yet to be completed, it is difficult to convene Parliament session just for the ratification of the President`s Rule as most of the MPs are busy in electioneering.
Any proclamation under Article 356 imposing Central Rule needs to be ratified by Parliament within two months.
Sources pointed to a provision in the Constitution which says "any such Proclamation may be revoked or varied by a subsequent Proclamation".
President`s Rule was imposed in Andhra Pradesh on March 1 this year after N Kiran Kumar Reddy resigned as Chief Minister following Parliament`s nod for bifurcation of the state to create separate Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!