Priyanka has crossed `lakshman rekha of decency`: Varun Gandhi
Sultanpur: Varun Gandhi on Tuesday hit back at his cousin Priyanka Gandhi, suggesting that she crossed the "lakshman rekha of decency" with her remarks that he has gone "astray" and said that his "decency and large-heartedness" should not be construed as a weakness by anyone.
In a statement, the 34-year-old BJP leader said, "In the past decade, whether it has been a member of my family or a senior leader of any political party, I have never crossed the lakshman rekha of decency in my speeches....
"There has been talk of my path. I have always considered the nation`s path as more important than my own. In my lifetime, if I am able to constructively contribute towards nation-building, I would consider my life meaningful."
Priyanka, 42, had attacked Varun in her speech in Amethi last week and suggested that he should be defeated and shown the right path.
"He is definitely from my family, he is my brother. But he has gone astray. When a young one in the family chooses the wrong path, then the elders show them the right path, the right way. I urge all of you to show my brother the right path," she had said.
Her remarks had invited immediate response from Varun`s mother Maneka Gandhi who had said, "If he has gone astray while serving the country, the country will decide."
Varun, who filed his nomination papers from here as a BJP candidate, said, "We should debate unemployment, corruption, poverty and illiteracy instead of making personal attacks.
"Let us try to raise the level of discourse rather than lowering it. When we practise politics centered on personal criticism, we deviate from the crucial issues of our time. If India has to move towards politics of hope, we will have to raise the level of debate," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference