Probe ordered into booth capturing allegations in Manipur
Guwahati: Manipur`s chief electoral officer Thursday ordered a probe into the allegations of booth capturing and rigging in some polling booths during the election to Outer Manipur Lok Sabha constituency.
The northeastern state had recorded about 82 percent polling Wednesday and the polling remained largely peaceful in the troubled state, where several militant outfits are still active.
However, the Bharatiya Janata Party`s state unit lodged a complaint with the CEO alleging that National Socialist Council of Nagaland-IM militants, who are in a ceasefire agreement with the
central government, captured 57 booths in Ukhrul, Chandel and Senapati districts and prevented people from voting.
"The BJP has alleged that the cadres of NSCN-IM and supporters have captured some polling booths yesterday (Wednesday). I have asked the deputy commissioners of the districts concerned to inquire the allegations and submit a report in this regard soon," said Manipur CEO O.
"We are going to wait for the reports from the deputy commissioners to reach here and then forward it to the Election Commission of India for a direction," he said.
"NSCN-IM members have captured as many as 57 booths and prevented people from exercising their democratic right. The state government`s failure to ensure security for the polls seems to be a deliberate ploy by the government to neutralize BJP`s popularity in the state," said.
Gangmumei Kamei, the BJP`s candidate for the Outer Manipur seat.
Altogether ten candidates are in the fray in the Outer Manipur seat. Besides the BJP candidate, the other candidates include sitting MP Thangso Baite of the Congress, Kim Gangte of the Trinamool Congress and Chungkhokai Doungel of the Nationalist Congress Party.
Voting for the Inner Manipur seat will take place on April 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?