Prove your identity, Ghulam Nabi Azad told
Jammu: Union Health Minister and former state chief minister Ghulam Nabi Azad was Thursday told to prove his identity at a polling booth in the Jammu Lok Sabha constituency.
Azad had gone to cast his vote at the DPS polling station at Jogi Gate area, but was refused permission by the presiding officer who demanded his identity proof.
The matter was later settled when a local Congress leader went to stand surety for Azad`s identity.
The local Congress leader told the presiding officer that Azad is the district president of the party for Jammu and a senior leader at the national level.
Bharatiya Janata Party leaders too said Azad is a senior national level leader and they did not dispute his identity.
He later cast his vote.
Azad is himself fighting the elections from Udhampur Lok Sabha seat although he is registered as voter in Jammu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre