Prove your identity, Ghulam Nabi Azad told
Jammu: Union Health Minister and former state chief minister Ghulam Nabi Azad was Thursday told to prove his identity at a polling booth in the Jammu Lok Sabha constituency.
Azad had gone to cast his vote at the DPS polling station at Jogi Gate area, but was refused permission by the presiding officer who demanded his identity proof.
The matter was later settled when a local Congress leader went to stand surety for Azad`s identity.
The local Congress leader told the presiding officer that Azad is the district president of the party for Jammu and a senior leader at the national level.
Bharatiya Janata Party leaders too said Azad is a senior national level leader and they did not dispute his identity.
He later cast his vote.
Azad is himself fighting the elections from Udhampur Lok Sabha seat although he is registered as voter in Jammu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town