PUCL demands release of AAP Nainital candidate Cheema
Jaipur: People`s Union for Civil Liberty on Monday held a demonstration here demanding the release AAP`s Nainital candidate Balli Singh Cheema who was arrested and lodged in Haldwani jail for alleged violation of Model Code of Conduct.
PUCL convenor Kavita Srivastava-led protesters, who were sporting signature AAP caps and holding placards, shouted anti-Uttarakhand government slogans and demanded immediate release of Cheema.
Cheema was arrested by the Uttarakhand police for allegedly using two loudspeakers on a vehicle on April 22, Srivastava said.
Even the EC had asked the Uttarakhand Government to release Cheema, but he was still behind the bars, she said.
Like Vishwas, Cheema is also a poet whose poetry is considered to have made a significant impact on Uttarakhand statehood movement.
Among the protesters were intellectuals and writers including Mohan Shotriya and Prem Chand Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state