Purandeswari files nomination from Rajampet
Hyderabad: Former union minister D Purandeswari and former Andhra Pradesh Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana were among prominent candidates who filed nominations on last day on Saturday for Assembly and Lok Sabha elections in Seemandhra.
Purandeswari, who recently quit the Congress party, filed her nomination as the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate from Rajampet Lok Sabha constituency.
She was elected from Visakhapatnam constituency in 2009 elections. Daughter of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) founder late NT Rama Rao, she joined the Congress before 2004 elections and was elected to Lok Sabha from Bapatla constituency. After Bapatla was reserved for scheduled castes in 2009, the Congress fielded her from Visakhapatnam.
Former president of the Congress` Andhra Pradesh unit Botsa Satyanarayana filed his nomination from Cheepurupalli Assembly constituency. He is seeking re-election for the third consecutive term. He was accompanied by his wife Botsa Jhansi, who is seeking re-election from Vizianagaram Lok Sabha constituency.
Former chief minister and Jai Samaikya Andhra Party (JSP) president Kiran Kumar Reddy decided not to contest the elections. He was scheduled to file his nomination from Pileru Assembly constituency in his native Chittoor district. He instead fielded his brother Kishore Kumar Reddy.
Saturday is the last day for filing nominations for 175 Assembly and 25 Lok Sabha seats in Seemandhra, going to polls on May 07.
Majority of the prominent candidates have already filed their nominations as Saturday is not considered auspicious.
The eminent contestants for Assembly Elections who have already filed their papers include TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu and YSR Congress president YS Jaganmohan Reddy. The TDP has also fielded NT Rama Rao`s son and popular actor N Balakrishna for assembly polls.
Jaganmohan Reddy`s mother YS Vijayamma, central ministers Kishore Chandra Deo and Pallam Raju and union ministers of state Pannabaka Lakshmi, K Krupa Rani and Kotla Suryaprakash Reddy are among prominent candidates for Lok Sabha elections.
It is likely to be a direct fight between TDP-BJP alliance and YSR Congress in Seemandhra. The Congress, which won majority of the seats in the last two elections, is facing a tough time due to state`s bifurcation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah