Rahul Gandhi to file nomination papers in Amethi on Saturday
New Delhi: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, who faces a triangular contest from the family pocket borough of Amethi, will file his nomination papers for the Lok Sabha polls on April 12.
Gandhi is likely to be accompanied by his sister Priyanki Gandhi Vadra.
A two-time MP from Amethi, Gandhi is locked in a triangular contest this time with BJP candidate Smriti Irani and Kumar Vishwas from Aam Aadmi Party pitted against him.
Though the Congress Vice President has won the seat in 2004 and 2009 elections with huge margins, Congress has lost in three of the five assembly seats falling under Amethi Parliamentary seats during the Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections in 2012.
Amethi goes to polls on May 7 and the poll process for filing nominations starts on April 12 with the issue of notification. Gandhi will file his nomination on Saturday, party sources said today.
The constituency is better known to be the seat of power of the Nehru-Gandhi political dynasty since 1980, when Sanjay Gandhi represented it once and later Rajiv Gandhi represented the seat four times.
Sonia Gandhi also represented the seat but later shifted to Rae Bareily, to vacate the seat for Rahul. Former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru also represented the seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad