Rahul`s `advisers` face heat as Congress searches for answers
New Delhi: As Congress searches for answers for its worst-ever electoral performance, daggers are already out in the party ahead of the crucial Congress Working Committee (CWC) meeting scheduled on Monday.
Senior party leaders speaking in private are severely critical of some key advisers of Rahul Gandhi, while some have chosen to go public finding fault with the ticket distribution.
Those who are in the firing line of a section of leaders include Jairam Ramesh, Mohan Gopal, Madhusudan Mistry, Mohan Prakash and Ajay Maken.
There was also media speculation that Congress President Sonia Gandhi and Vice President Rahul Gandhi could offer to resign during the CWC meet, which has been called to take stock of the political situation in the aftermath of results.
However, top sources in the party trashed such speculation.
"It is all rubbish. This is not the way to go forward. That is not the solution," the sources close to the top leadership said.
The meeting of the CWC, the party`s apex decision making body has been convened on May 19 even as questions were being raised over the leadership of Rahul Gandhi as well as the over-all election strategy of the party, besides the performance of the UPA-II government led by Manmohan Singh.
Accepting responsibility for the poll debacle, Sonia and Rahul have conceded that the mandate in the Lok Sabha polls was "clearly against" Congress and said there was "lot for us to think about".
Talking to PTI, Special Invitee to the CWC Anil Shastri rued that some of the Congress candidates left the party after they were not given tickets, which calls for a serious look at the way tickets were given.
He said that Rahul Gandhi had earlier said that party hoppers won`t be given tickets on a platter after joining Congress but this was done in a number of cases and hence those who did it, in defiance of the Congress Vice President`s view, should face the music.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam