Rajasthan registers historic 63% voter turnout
Jaipur: Breaking previous records, Rajasthan registered a historic voter turnout of 63 percent, a 15 percent increase from last parliamentary elections, in both phases of the recently concluded Lok Sabha elections.
63.02 percent of total 4,29,94,384 voters, including two crore females, cast their votes in both phases of polling on April 17 and 24.
Ganganagar recorded the highest turnout of 72.85 percent, 11 per cent higher than the figures of 2009 polls, followed by Barmer where 72.43 percent voters exercised their franchise, according to the chief election office.
In Barmer, where expelled BJP leader Jaswant Singh is contesting as an Independent candidate, the turnout shot up 17 percent.
Banswara, Jhalawar Baran, Ajmer and Jaipur recorded 68.82, 68.66, 68.65 and 66.08 percent turnout respectively.
Karauli-Dholpur is the constituency with lowest voter turnout at 54.70 percent.
Jalore constituency recorded the maximum increase of 21 percent in turnout as compared to the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Female voter turnout, which was 44.85 percent in 2009, also increased by 16 percent to 61.23 percent.
Women voter turnout was highest in Barmer with 71.78 percent followed by Banswara at 71.03 percent, whereas Karauli-Dholpur registered the lowest turnout where only 50.39 percent of female voters exercised their right.
"This all increase could happen due to extensive efforts under Systematic Voters Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP)," Chief Election Officer Ashok Jain said.
24 out of total 25 constituencies saw increase in voter turnout except Dausa where there it decreased by 2.8 percent.
Dausa recorded 61 percent polling this time against 63.98 of 2009-Lok Sabha polls.
A total of 320 candidates including 27 women contested the elections on 25 constituencies in the two phases of polls in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM