`Records of poll code violation cases gutted in Mantralaya fire mishap`
Mumbai: All records pertaining to cases of poll code violation registered against candidates in the last three Lok Sabha elections and action taken against them by the state election commission got destroyed in a 2012 fire mishap at Mantralaya, an RTI query has revealed.
"Public Information Officer Shirish Mohod in the office of the Maharashtra Chief Electoral Officer has informed us that all files and records pertaining to our query got destroyed in the massive fire incident at Mantralaya on June 21, 2012.
"Hence he CEO`s office has no records to provide information to our queries," said activist Anil Galgali who had sought the information through a query on April 7, 2014.
Galgali had also sought to know the exact number of MPs disqualified for violating the poll code and also details of re-polls conducted on seats represented by them.
In its reply, the General Administration Department (GAD) informed Galgali that CEO`s office has no records to give information regarding the query.
Galgali demanded strong action against those candidates who have violated the model code of conduct which he said should act as a "deterrent" for future violations.
"It is very sad and unfortunate that, despite the orders of the chief minister and the chief secretary of Maharashtra to reconstruct all files destroyed in the blaze, the GAD looking into the election work has ignored the restoration work," he said.
Five persons were killed and several others injured, besides loss of many files, in the fire accident at the state secretariat.
Offices of chief minister Prithviraj Chavan and deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar were gutted in the blaze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway