Security stepped up in riot-affected villages in Muzaffarnagar
Muzaffarnagar (UP): Security has been stepped up across the riot-affected villages in the district here to ensure free and fair polls on April 10.
Precautionary measures have been taken in like Phugana, Lisadh, Bahawadi, Kutba, Kutbi, Kakda, Mohammadpur- Raisingh, worst affected villages in last year`s communal clashes, police said.
The September riots last year left over 60 dead and rendered several people homeless.
"27,198 people have been displaced from their native places, of which 3,259 riot victims have been enrolled as voters at places where they have rehabilitated.
"The remaining would be provided full security so that they can cast their vote at polling booths where they are registered as voters," District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said yesterday.
627 polling centres of riot-affected?20 villages have been declared sensitive, he said.
Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar earlier triggered a controversy with his comment that the general elections, especially in western UP, is "an election for honour. It is an election to take revenge for the insult."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch