Security stepped up in riot-affected villages in Muzaffarnagar
Muzaffarnagar (UP): Security has been stepped up across the riot-affected villages in the district here to ensure free and fair polls on April 10.
Precautionary measures have been taken in like Phugana, Lisadh, Bahawadi, Kutba, Kutbi, Kakda, Mohammadpur- Raisingh, worst affected villages in last year`s communal clashes, police said.
The September riots last year left over 60 dead and rendered several people homeless.
"27,198 people have been displaced from their native places, of which 3,259 riot victims have been enrolled as voters at places where they have rehabilitated.
"The remaining would be provided full security so that they can cast their vote at polling booths where they are registered as voters," District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said yesterday.
627 polling centres of riot-affected?20 villages have been declared sensitive, he said.
Narendra Modi`s close aide Amit Shah in Muzaffarnagar earlier triggered a controversy with his comment that the general elections, especially in western UP, is "an election for honour. It is an election to take revenge for the insult."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’