Seemandhra: Cop among 12 injured in poll violence
Hyderabad: Twelve persons, including a constable, were injured in two separate incidents in Andhra Pradesh`s Prakasam and Nellore districts, in poll-related violence even as police fired in the air to disperse clashing activists of TDP and YSR Congress, police said today.
Police fired in the air to quell the clashing workers of the two parties at Suravaripalli of Yaddanapudi mandal of Prakasam district last night when they picked up a quarrel after polling, they said.
At least 10 people were injured during the clashes and they were admitted to a hospital in Guntur, police said.
Police pickets were posted in the village to ensure peace.
Police had yesterday fired in the air to quell aggressive crowds near polling stations in Guntur and Kadapa districts, during the second phase of elections for Lok Sabha and Assembly constituencies in the state`s Seemandhra region.
In another incident, a police constable and a villager were injured this morning when some residents of Yerukollu village beat up the villager over allegations of casting vote to a particular party during polls yesterday, a senior police official said.
When a police team reached the village, the villagers damaged police vehicle and assaulted one constable, he said.
"Prohibitory orders were enforced. We have deployed additional forces in the village to maintain law and order... the situation is now under control. Efforts are on to arrest the accused," the police official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday