Seemandhra: Cop among 12 injured in poll violence
Hyderabad: Twelve persons, including a constable, were injured in two separate incidents in Andhra Pradesh`s Prakasam and Nellore districts, in poll-related violence even as police fired in the air to disperse clashing activists of TDP and YSR Congress, police said today.
Police fired in the air to quell the clashing workers of the two parties at Suravaripalli of Yaddanapudi mandal of Prakasam district last night when they picked up a quarrel after polling, they said.
At least 10 people were injured during the clashes and they were admitted to a hospital in Guntur, police said.
Police pickets were posted in the village to ensure peace.
Police had yesterday fired in the air to quell aggressive crowds near polling stations in Guntur and Kadapa districts, during the second phase of elections for Lok Sabha and Assembly constituencies in the state`s Seemandhra region.
In another incident, a police constable and a villager were injured this morning when some residents of Yerukollu village beat up the villager over allegations of casting vote to a particular party during polls yesterday, a senior police official said.
When a police team reached the village, the villagers damaged police vehicle and assaulted one constable, he said.
"Prohibitory orders were enforced. We have deployed additional forces in the village to maintain law and order... the situation is now under control. Efforts are on to arrest the accused," the police official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users