Seemandhra: Cop among 12 injured in poll violence
Hyderabad: Twelve persons, including a constable, were injured in two separate incidents in Andhra Pradesh`s Prakasam and Nellore districts, in poll-related violence even as police fired in the air to disperse clashing activists of TDP and YSR Congress, police said today.
Police fired in the air to quell the clashing workers of the two parties at Suravaripalli of Yaddanapudi mandal of Prakasam district last night when they picked up a quarrel after polling, they said.
At least 10 people were injured during the clashes and they were admitted to a hospital in Guntur, police said.
Police pickets were posted in the village to ensure peace.
Police had yesterday fired in the air to quell aggressive crowds near polling stations in Guntur and Kadapa districts, during the second phase of elections for Lok Sabha and Assembly constituencies in the state`s Seemandhra region.
In another incident, a police constable and a villager were injured this morning when some residents of Yerukollu village beat up the villager over allegations of casting vote to a particular party during polls yesterday, a senior police official said.
When a police team reached the village, the villagers damaged police vehicle and assaulted one constable, he said.
"Prohibitory orders were enforced. We have deployed additional forces in the village to maintain law and order... the situation is now under control. Efforts are on to arrest the accused," the police official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya