Several politicos make a strong comeback in AP assembly
Hyderabad: Several bigwigs have made a grand comeback to the (new) Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly winning the just-concluded election, ending their long political hiatus.
Many of them had earlier served as ministers in various governments of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and the Congress in their long legislative career, but had tasted defeat in the last two elections. Now, all of them have emerged triumphant under the TDP and will be resuming their legislative roles.
TDP veterans Kimidi Kalavenkata Rao, Kodela Sivaprasada Rao, Ch Ayyannapatrudu and Bandaru Satyanarayana Murthy, who served as ministers under late N T Rama Rao and Chandrababu Naidu, won the 2014 elections from their respective districts.
Kodela, a five-time MLA, had lost from his native Narsaraopet constituency in Guntur district in 2004 and 2009. This time he shifted to neighbouring Sattenapalli segment and tasted success.
Kodela, who was a minister in every TDP government, is expected to get a major role in the new dispensation as well. Kalavenkata Rao, a former minister, had left the TDP in 2008 to join the Praja Rajyam Party, but lost the 2009 election. He immediately returned to his parent party and has now won the Assembly election from Etcherla in Srikakulam district.
Ayyannapatrudu, a four-time MLA and former minister, lost in 2009. Though he had a love-hate relationship with the party because of the district-level groupism, Ayyannapatrudu did not leave the TDP and won the people`s mandate from Narsipatnam in Visakhapatnam district.
Satyanarayana Murthy was also a former minister, but suffered successive defeats in 2004 and 2009. Luck, however, smiled on him this time as he emerged victorious from Pendurthi.
This assembly election also proved lucky for TDP veteran Gorantla Butchaiah Chowdary, who was initially denied ticket because of the seat adjustment with BJP, but accommodated in Rajahmundry Rural constituency in the last minute. He clinched the seat now, after having lost the last two elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India