Six `super-rich` candidates in TN poll fray
Chennai: Six `super-rich` candidates, each having assets worth over Rs 50 crore, are in the fray in the Lok Sabha polls in Tamil Nadu, with Congress nominee and businessman H Vasanthakumar topping the list at over Rs 283 crore.
The assets declaration of the 1,318 candidates who have filed nominations for the April 24 polls reveal interesting details as many of them are crorepatis though there are also aspirants like CPI-M`s G Anandan who has a meagre 1.92 lakh.
Vasanthakumar, owner of the popular Vasanth & Co, a retail chain of consumer durables in the state and a former MLA, has movable assets worth Rs 98.63 crore and immovable assets Rs 184.50 crore. He is contesting from Kanyakumari constituency.
AC Shanmugam, President of the Pudhiya Needhi Katchi, an ally of BJP contesting from Vellore on the Saffron party`s lotus symbol, comes next in the super-rich category. Heading several higher education institutions, he has assets worth Rs 106.10 crore.
DMK leader and former Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, S Jagathrakshakan owns assets to the tune of Rs 78.04 crore.
Among other businesses, his family runs a medical college and several engineering colleges in Chennai. A sitting Lok Sabha member from Arakonam, he is contesting from Sriperumbudur constituency in this elections.
Next comes T R Pachamuthu, also founder of educational institutions, who owns assets worth Rs.77.69 crore.
Heading the Indhiya Jananayaka Katchi (IJK), an ally of the BJP, he is contesting from Perambalur. He owns SRM group of educational institutions.
Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram`s son Karti P Chidambaram, making his electoral debut from Sivaganga, has assets to the tune of Rs 59.66 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister