Soldiers of all communities played a role in Kargil: Akhilesh
Bareilly (UP): In the wake of a major controversy over Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan`s remarks on the Kargil conflict, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Wednesday said that soldiers of all communities had played a role in the Kargil war.
Asked about Khan`s remarks that it was `Muslim soldiers` who had ensured India`s victory in the 1999 Kargil war against Pakistan, Akhilesh said "...It is a very important thing... In Kargil, Army, society and the country all have made a contribution".
"People of all the communities, Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs and Christians have made a contribution," Akhilesh told reporters after addressing an election meeting in favour of his party`s nominee here.
Khan, a senior minister in the UP government, had yesterday said that it was `Muslim soldiers` who had ensured India`s victory in the 1999 Kargil war against Pakistan, drawing ire of political parties who have also sought action by the Election Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred