Sonia betrayed country by not becoming PM in 2004: Rajnath
Kathlal: BJP president Rajnath Singh on Thursday accused Congress president Sonia Gandhi of "betraying the country" by not taking up the post of the Prime Minister in 2004.
"In 2004, Congress got majority, but Sonia Gandhi did not become the Prime Minister. Is this not a betrayal?" Singh said at a campaign rally at Kathlal in Kheda district.
"Manmohan Singh`s (former) media advisor Sanjaya Baru has written a book called `Accidental Prime Minister`. Manmohan Singh is an accidental Prime Minister. He (Baru) has categorically written that the Centre was not being run by Prime Minister, but it was being run from 10 Janpath (Sonia Gandhi`s residence)," Singh said.
"Sonia is super PM who is running this government."
The BJP chief also took a dig at Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra, saying "we have witnessed many corruption scams.... 2G, 3G, CWG and Jijaji (borther-in-law)".
"When somebody asked Pandit (Jawaharlal) Nehru if India will ever become strong, he replied that we are engaged in `rashtra-nirman` (nation-building). Even today we are seeing advertisements of Bharat-Nirman by Congress. How long will this Bharat-Nirman continue?" Singh asked.
"There was a time when Indira Gandhi used to say that Jan Sangh (predecessor of BJP) was trying to oust her when she was trying to oust poverty. Indiraji wanted to remove poverty, but to the date poverty hasn`t been removed."
He alsoalleged that Congress had not fulfilled any promise it made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India