Sonia Gandhi accuses TRS of opportunistic politics over Telangana
Chevella: In a frontal attack, Congress president Sonia Gandhi today said TRS played opportunistic politics over the formation of Telangana state, and had joined hands with communal forces in the past.
TRS leader, K Chandreshekar Rao used to claim earlier that Congress would never give Telangana state, but now he was claiming credit as the separate state had become a reality, she said, addressing a campaign rally on the penultimate day of electioneering in the region.
Telangana would go to the polls on April 30.
Alleging that TRS sided with "communal forces" in the past, Sonia maintained that there was no guarantee that it would not do so even now. "We are not seeing the opportunistic face of TRS for the first time. It is suffering from the same disease as the BJP," she said, attacking the individual-centric campaigns of both the parties.
"Future of Telangana would not be secure with such forces... That is why you have to make your decision on electing the first government in Telangana after a careful thought," she said.
She also accused TRS of speaking "the language of intimidation".
Her party put in a lot of efforts in persuading other parties to accept the separate Telangana, Sonia said.
While TDP, YSRCP and BJP leaders changed their stands on separate state frequently, Sonia said Congress never compromised over aspirations of the Telangana people.
She also stated that the period of agitation was over, and hoped that Telangana and Seemandhra people would have cordial relations now.
The Congress president promised that her party would seek national status for Pranahita-Chevella and Palamuru irrigation projects, push construction of a 4,000 MW power plant to address the issue of power shortage and reduction of the burden of farm loan, among other things.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?