Sonia Gandhi files nomination from Rae Bareli amid rousing welcome
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Rae Bareli: Congress president Sonia Gandhi filed her nomination papers for the Rae Bareli Lok Sabha seat on Wednesday.
Sonia Gandhi, the three-time MP from the constituency, was accompanied by her son and party vice-president Rahul Gandhi during the visit.
Sonia Gandhi, who is seeking re-election from the seat, was given a red carpet welcome by the Congress supporters who were seen shouting “Sonia Gandhi Jindabad” and “Congress Jindabad” slogans as her car arrived here.
Ahead of reaching the District Collectorate, the Congress president also interacted with her party workers and responded to the massive crowd by waving her hands.
She was brought here in a car driven by her son Rahul Gandhi. Elaborate security arrangements were put in place to avoid any untoward incident.
Her daughter and in-charge of the constituency Priyanka and her husband Robert Vadra were also expected to join her but they fail to turn up.
The main opposition party BJP has fielded noted Supreme Court lawyer Ajay Agarwal against the Congress president from the Rae Bareli seat.
In 1999, Sonia Gandhi defeated BJP`s Shushma Swaraj from the Bellary Lok Sabha constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees