SPG gets ready to protect `PM` Narendra Modi
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Sensing the high probability of BJP leader Narendra Modi becoming the next Prime Minister if his party emerges winner after counting of votes on May 16, as predicted by the exit polls, the Special Protection Group (SPG) has begun preparations to protect the Gujarat Chief Minister and his family.
According to reports, an advanced team of the SPG, equipped with bulletproof vehicle and jammer, will immediately throw a tight security ring around Modi the moment his party is declared winner in the recently concluded Lok Sabha elections.
The SPG is also making elaborate arrangements to protect Modi`s estranged wife Jashodaben and his mother Hiraben, who he visits sparingly.
“The SPG has done its groundwork for Modi, his wife and mother. If BJP emerges winner, SPG will not wait for Modi to be declared the PM-elect and get an invitation from the President. The elite security unit will send a skeleton security team on May 16 itself,” a security official was quoted as saying.
Based on its own security assessment for Modi`s estranged wife Jashodaben, the SPG is likely to shift her to a place more suitable for a SPG protectee. Jashodaben currently stays at her house in a village in Banaskantha district and the SPG is likely to make a request to Modi to shift her to some other location – either in the district headquarters or in Gandhinagar.
“The SPG is likely to approach Modi, if he becomes PM, on shifting Jasodaben to another location. The Gujarat administration can be asked to provide a government accommodation to a SPG protectee. There are no such problems for his mother who lives in Gandhinagar,” the official said.
However, the SPG protection will not be given to Modi’s three brothers and two sisters, but the Gujarat police will be asked to provide them Z-category security cover.
At present, Modi enjoys the highest Z-Plus category protection by commandos of National Security Guard and Gujarat police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble