General Elections 2014: Andhra Pradesh – State Profile
The bill to create the 29th state of the country was passed by Lok Sabha on February 19 and Rajya Sabha on February 20.
The state has 42 Lok Sabha seats including 25 from Seemandhara and 17 from Telangana regions.
The elections will take place in two phases on April 30 and May 7.
After the bifurcation of the state, Andhra Pradesh will have 175 Assembly seats and Telangana will have 117 seats.
The key political parties in the state are Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party, YSR Congress party and Telugu Desam Party.
In the General Elections 2009, Congress won with a majority of 33 seats.
The last chief minister of the state was N Kiran Kumar Reddy from the Congress party who resigned protesting against the creation of Telangana state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know