Subramanian Swamy calls Priyanka Vadra `alcoholic`, Congress workers protest in Delhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Slamming the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy for his comments against Congress president Sonia Gandhi`s daughter Priyanka Gandhi, Congress leader Ajay Maken on Tuesday said that Swamy`s statement has crossed all limits.
“Subramanian Swamy`s statement crosses all limits, we condemn it. Use of such words against women is unacceptable,” Maken said.
Commenting on reports that Priyanka Gandhi was willing to contest elections from Varanasi against BJP`s PM nominee Narendra Modi, Swamy had said yesterday that Gandhi would have been thrashed if she had done so as she drinks too much alcohol and has a bad name.
"They saved her. She would have got a thrashing. She is very unpopular, she drinks too much alcohol and she has a bad name, her husband has a bad name," Swamy said.
On Sunday, Swamy had even called Priyanka an ungrateful daughter for going to see the prisoners in jail who assassinated her own father.
He also said that it was Priyanka Gandhi and not Varun Gandhi who has gone astray and had added that the former and her party were not able to digest the latter`s success.
Maken further said, “We support Priyankaji`s statement, she hasn`t made any personal attacks, it was an ideological statement.”
On Saturday, while accompanying Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi at Amethi while filing nomination papers, Priyanka had said that Varun Gandhi has chosen a wrong path and needed to be led in the right direction.
Meanwhile, Congress party workers today protested outside the residence of Swamy in the national capital due to his alleged derogatory remarks against Priyanka.
Yesterday, Delhi Congress had accused the BJP leader of trying to vitiate the election atmosphere by making such comments.
Swamy had even posted on micro-blogging website twitter - “Good luck to Varun. One Nehru whose blood is 100 percent Hindustaniyat. No wonder Booze and Buddhu jealous (sic)."
Good luck to Varun. One Nehru whose blood is 100 percent Hindustaniyat. No wonder Booze and Buddhu jealous.
— Subramanian Swamy (@Swamy39) April 15, 2014
Another Congress leader Haroon Yusuf said, “Subramanian Swamy must take back his comments on Priyankaji. We will complain to the EC as well."
Swamy reacted sharply over this issue and hit back saying, “If they have a problem with what I said, they can approach the court."
“Gunde badmaasho ke tareeke istmaal karenge to lok tantra kaise chalaenge (If goons tactics will be used then how will they run democracy)?” Swamy said on Congress` protest at his residence today.
He added, “All I said was Priyanka Gandhi should quit smoking and set an example. Why doesn’t she just say she doesn`t drink?”
“There are courts to file defamation case at, what is this protest and all? More ppl showed up than Rahul Gandhi`s meeting,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Fire at police station near Chennai's Marina Beach; police disperse protesters