Take stern action against Togadia for `anti-national` remarks: Cong to EC
New Delhi: Congress on Monday approached the Election Commission seeking stern action against VHP leader Pravin Togadia for his "anti-national and provocative" remarks, and said it was aimed at helping Narendra Modi and BJP in the elections.
In a complaint to the EC, Congress`s Legal Department secretary K C Mittal said that Togadia`s statement is "anti-national, provocative, inflammatory and an open threat to persons belonging to a particular community".
"The intent and purpose of such a statement is well known when the election process is on -- to seek votes for BJP and Narendra Modi with whom they share the same philosophy and ideology," he said in the letter.
Mittal regretted that such statements are allowed and permitted by BJP to seek votes by spreading hatred amongst different communities and religions.
"Unless the Commission takes stern action against persons making such speeches, fair and proper election cannot be conducted," he said.
Besides, he lamented that even in the case of BJP leader Giriraj Singh, the Commission has not taken action as per law and the FIR stated to have been registered at Devghar ignores various offences having prima facie been committed by the hate speech.
Giriraj had reportedly told an election rally that "those opposing Narendra Modi are looking at Pakistan, and such people will have place in Pakistan and not in India".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145