Taking on Modi, Cong`s Mistry files nomination
Vadodara,: Pitted against BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi, Congress leader Madhusudan Mistry on Saturday filed his nomination from Vadodara Lok Sabha constituency and said he would "expose" Modi`s Gujarat development model.
The 69-year-old party general secretary was accompanied by Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela, state Congress chief Arjun Modhwadiya and others when he filed his papers before the district electoral officer.
Modi, who is also contesting from Varanasi, is expected to file nomination here on the last day, April 9, for the April 30 poll.
Mistry said he had studied at the local MS University, and people of the city would embrace him.
"About 15,000 people took part in our rally here today before I filed my papers, despite the 40 degree Celsius temperature. This indicates my eventual victory," said Mistry.
He said he would "expose Modi`s so-called Gujarat development model".
The Congress leader was on Thursday arrested along with his supporters for tearing down Modi`s posters and his party had complained to the Election Commission that the Gujarat Chief Minister was monopolising advertisement space in Vadodara by "abusing" his authority.
They were later released on personal bonds of Rs 5000 each.
District Collector Vinod Rao said that apart from Mistry, Narendra Rawat, city Congress chief, filed a nomination as a dummy candidate.
Mistry, currently a Rajya Sabha member, had represented Sabarkantha constituency in Lok Sabha in 2004. He lost there in 2009.
The Congress leader said that he will be "grateful" if Priyanka Gandhi visits his constituency Vadodara where he is taking on Narendra Modi.
"I will be very happy if she comes.... I will indeed be grateful if she comes for a roadshow," Mistry told PTI.
His remarks came close on the heels of reports quoting Gandhi family friend and key Congress strategist Sam Pitroda that Priyanka will share her brother and Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi`s burden.
She will interact with media more and also campaign aggressively in the coming days, Pitroda has said, making it clear that the 42-year-old would complement her elder brother`s efforts, not overshadow them.
Ahead of the filing of nominations, Mistry had said that he was confident of a victory in Vadodara "because of the solid support of the party and people."
"I am full of confidence that I will turn the tables," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25