TDP, BJP join hands in Andhra; reach consensus on seat-sharing
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Ahead of the upcoming Lok Sabha and Assembly elections, Telugu Desam Party (TDP) and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) parties joined hands and officially announced their electoral alliance and seat-sharing in Andhra Pradesh on Sunday.
The alliance was announced by TDP chief N Chandrababu Naidu and BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar during a press conference.
After days of discussion, BJP will contest on eight Lok Sabha seats and 47 Vidhan Sabha in Telangana and five Lok Sabha seats and 15 Vidhan Sabha in Seemandhara region, sources have said.
Terming the TDP-BJP alliance as "lucky one," Naidu later tweeted that TDP had benefited from the alliance in the past as well and agreed with the merger for the welfare of the nation.
State benefited when we allied with NDA in the past. In the same spirit, we sealed a deal with BJP today for nation. INC to be wiped out.
— N Chandrababu Naidu (@ncbn) April 6, 2014
Elections to 119 Assembly and 17 Lok Sabha seats in Telangana are scheduled for April 30 while 175 Assembly and 25 Lok Sabha constituencies in Seemandhra will go to polls May 7.
While the formal announcements were being made, TDP workers were raised slogans against the alliance outside the residence of party chief Chandrababu Naidu in Hyderabad.
"Modi is a development man. Irrespective of religion, region and communities, Modi is being supported. Our goal is Congress free India and corruption free India," said Naidu, who had supported the earlier NDA government at the Centre but parted ways due to TDP`s objections on the Gujarat riots` issue, the PTI reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says