Tell Priyanka Gandhi to leave Amethi: AAP`s Kumar Vishwas to UP police
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: In a sensational claim, the Aam Aadmi Party has alleged that the Amethi district administration late Monday night asked the family of Kumar Vishwas, the party`s candidate from the constituency, to leave the district or else they will be arrested.
According to reports, district police officials late Monday reached the rented accommodation of the AAP leader and cited Election Commission rules to ask Kumar Vishwas`s wife, children and other family members to leave Amethi by 11 pm, after the time of campaigning ended, as they were not "registered voters" in the constituency.
An official told a news agency that this was in line with norms which mandates all non-registered voters, campaigners and supporters of a candidate to leave the constituency after the campaigning has come to an end and ahead of balloting.
Voicing his dissent, Kumar Vishwas on Tuesday said he challenged the district police officials to tell Congress campaigner Priyanka Gandhi Vadra the same if the Uttar Pradesh government has the courage.
Alleging that the administration of Amethi is working towards making Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi win, whose boat is sinking, Kumar Vishwas accused the police of picking up his party workers.
The Congress workers are openly distributing cash and envelopes, and no action is being taken, added the poet-turned-politician.
On Monday night, Vishwas tweeted that police had threatened to evict his wife, sister and others from their house mid-night. He also dared the authorities to do something similar to Priyanka Vadra and her supporters.
District admin & police asks my wife and sisters to leave Amethi immediately at 11pm. Can they dare to ask the same to Priyanka G & congis?
— Dr. Kumar Vishvas (@DrKumarVishwas) May 5, 2014
Police reached mohanganj and they are snatching Booth bags from our volunteers and arresting them. Now, they wont allow our booth activity.
— Dr. Kumar Vishvas (@DrKumarVishwas) May 5, 2014
Senior Election Commission (EC) officials were apprised of the matter late Monday night after which Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Umesh Sinha is said to have taken a "view on the matter".
Poll panel sources said the district administration was within its rights to take such action but have been asked to be polite, "keeping sensitivities in mind".
Amethi is witnessing a triangular battle between Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, BJP`s television actor-turned-politician Smriti Irani and AAP`s Kumar Vishwas.
While Vishwaas has been camping in the high-profile constituency for the last four months, Smriti Irani is also giving sleepless nights to her political opponents by travelling in the countryside.
BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi while addressing an election meeting in Gauriganj Monday had called Irani her younger sister.
Worried at a surging opposition, Sonia Gandhi recently addressed her first election rally in Amethi after a gap of 10 years.
Amethi goes to polls on May 07.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi