Three women candidates in fray from Assam`s Nagaon
Nagaon: Three-time BJP MP Rajen Gohain is seeking a fourth consecutive term from this constituency and is being challenged among others by three women candidates, the highest in any seat in Assam.
The state, which has sent 15 women candidates to the Lok Sabha since the first General Elections in 1952, will see 16 women in the fray this time, the highest ever.
The three women candidates contesting from here for the April 24 polls are Congress` Jonjonali Baruah, Mridula Barkakoty of AGP and Independent Selima Sultana.
Baruah, the current MLA from Morigaon MLA, is hoping that criticism of neglect of the constituency against Gohain, will work in her favour.
She is also eyeing support in her constituency and Congress-held neighbouring assembly segments of Jagiroad, Raha, Lahorighat and Batadrobha to dethrone Gohain.
AGP nominee Barkakoty, a BJP Assam secretary till recently, is harping on her party`s regional agenda mindset and support from AGP president and former chief minister Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, who is working hard to garner votes for her.
Sultana, who has studied till class XII, is fighting as an Independent.
There are 15,20,600 total electorate who are expected to exercise their franchise in this constituency which has nine Assembly segments of Jagiroad, Morigaon, Laharighat, Raha, Nagaon, Barhampur, Jamunamukh, Hojai and Lumding.
The constituency has considerable Muslim and Bengali- speaking Hindu voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections